Murder and Arson Conviction + Ohio Political Map Rejection + Athens Grant
Good day, neighbors! Christopher Schmitt here with the Friday issue of the Marietta Daily.
First, today’s weather forecast:
Softer; windy in the afternoon. High: 69 Low: 51.
Here are the best stories in Marietta today:
- A Wood County jury convicted a teenager of murder and arson. (West Virginia Metro News)
- A fourth set of maps of Ohio’s state legislative districts was rejected. The Ohio Supreme Court ordered the redistricting commission to reconvene and re-adopt a new set of maps. (Statehouse News Bureau)
- A massive grant has been awarded to redevelop The Ridges. (Messenger from Athens)
- Washington State Community College hosted a leadership academy. (Marietta time)
Today in Marietta:
From my notebook:
- Washington County Sheriff’s Office – Marietta, Ohio: “On April 13, 2022, the Washington County Sheriff’s Office recovered a cell phone from Fearing Township when a resident found the item in their yard on Pleasant Ridge Road. A photo of the case is attached. To claim the phone, please conta…” (Facebook)
- Employment in the Mid-Ohio Valley: “Don’t forget to look for eggs tomorrow! We’ve hidden them all over Vienna and Marietta” (Facebook)
- Visit Marietta Ohio: “Marietta Bike Trail Did you know the Marietta Trail System has nearly 30 miles of trails for your biking and hiking pleasure? Need a bike? Marietta Adventure Company (219-B Second St. Marietta, OH 45750) can help you with the right…” (Facebook)
- Marietta Noon Lions: “We are getting closer to 120 flags sold! Honor your veteran locally with a flag sponsorship! We wouldn’t want you to miss it, especially after seeing the display in full effect on the bridge over Memorial Day weekend. Click the li…” (Facebook)
- Marietta Area Chamber of Commerce: “We’re at the Riverview Building now but we haven’t always been there. Our LAST question is worth $50 in Marietta Bucks!” (Facebook)
Do you like the Marietta Daily? Here are all the ways you can get more involved:
You’re all caught up for today! I will see you soon.
— Christopher Schmitt
About me: Hi, I’m the Community Editor for Patch.com/marietta. I have lived in Marietta most of my life. I graduated from Ohio University’s EW Scripps School of Journalism in 2014. I wrote for a community newspaper before moving to New York to be a national correspondent for IHeartRadio. I look forward to bringing my experience home and providing Marietta with the exceptional journalism she deserves. You can email me at [email protected] or call me at 740-516-4969.